Congrats on finishing Week 1! Now, let's rock Week 2! In this session I'm going to discuss the importance of avoiding bad LDL cholesterol, I'll go over my GGBVT grocery shopping method, and we'll get you exploring new places.
WATCH THESE VIDEOS! (I reference these topics in the video above)
My Recommended Food Brands
*I will be doing a whole lesson on reading food labels, etc. in the coming weeks. For now, here's the brands I recommend:
- Kale: Nature's Greens (organic)
- Spinach: Whole Foods 365 Brand (organic)
- Quinoa: I like to use the Whole Foods bulk area, where you can fill up a bag of quinoa. It's cheaper! I get the organic red or brown quinoa.
- Rice: Also do the bulk section brown rice. When I buy packaged, I do the Lundberg organic brown rice.
- Chickpeas: Eden (no salt added) organic chick peas
- Black Beans: Eden (no salt added) organic black beans
The key with the canned beans is to find a low salt or no salt brand.
- Marinated Jackfruit: Upton's jackfruit. I love the Barbecue flavor!
- Hummus: Hope organic hummus. I love the Sriracha, Jalapeno, and original flavors. Another one I do is Cedar's organic hummus.
- Liquid Amino's (tastes like a soy sauce - great for veggie sushi instead of soy sauce!): Bragg liquid aminos.
- Mustards: Annie's organic. I also like Sir Kensington's mustards and ketchups.
- Hot Sauce: I think this is local to Boston, but you can use as a reference: Alex's Ugly Sauce .
- Peanut Butter: Woodstock organic peanut butter (try to avoid any with oil. Should be just peanuts or peanuts & salt as ingredients). Or I grind my own fresh peanut butter at the "make your own" station at Whole Foods... so good!
- Almond Butter: Nutzo 7 nut & seed butter. Or I grind my own at Whole Foods. (watch ingredients, same as above.)
- English Muffins: Food For Life Ezekiel brand.
- Plantain Chips: Terra plantain chips.
- Bean Chips: Beanfield's chips. I like the Sea Salt or Pico de Gailo. Or Beanito's chips. I like Original and Chipotle BBQ.
- Veggie Burgers: (Forgot to mention in video! I love veggie burgers.) Hilary's veggie burgers. I like them all! Or Engine 2 veggie burgers. Also like them all!
- Dark Chocolate: Again, this is probably a local one (the key is no dairy and fewest ingredients): Taza dark chocolate.
Thug Kitchen book: http://www.thugkitchen.com/
http://rawvana.com/ - Her website is under construction, but download her app for your phone!
THIS IS AN AWESOME RESOURCE! Search any topic and you'll get a bunch of videos addressing all the scientific research about the topic: http://nutritionfacts.org/
PANACEA Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592131
Again if you didn't watch it last week: Forks Over Knives: https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/